Gas Safety Checks for Landlords and Letting Agents
Whether you own or manage rented properties, we can take the pressure of by carrying out the annual Gas Safety Check at each property for peace of mind knowing your tenants are safe. We can also be your go-to for any other plumbing and heating issues including full heating installations.
What is a Gas Safety Check?
A Gas Safety Check is to make sure that the gas appliances within the property are working correctly, safely and efficiently. This includes an inspection of flues, gas meter and gas pipework to ensure that every aspect complies with regulations. The Gas Safety Check will need to be carried out, by a Gas Safe registered engineer, every year. If it is not carried out by a gas safe registered engineer then the certificate will be invalid.
Do I need one?
If you are the landlord for the property, a gas safety check and valid, in-date, certificate is a legal requirement. It is up to you to make sure that your tenants are safe in the property.
If there are gas appliances that are owned by the tenant instead of you, as the landlord, then these aren’t your responsibility. However, you do still need to ensure the safety of flues and pipework that connects to the tenant owned appliances.
What happens if I don’t have one or it's out of date?
As a landlord, you are required, by law, to have a valid gas safety certificate every year, for each rented property. The consequences of not having a valid gas safety certificate include, but are not limited to, invalid insurance, up to £6000 in fines and 6 months in prison.
What's included in the Gas Safety Check?
- We will carry out an inspection of the gas meter, pipework and any gas appliances within the property
- Check appliance for gas tightness
- Check standing and working pressures if test points are available
- Check burner pressure/gas rate against manufacturers guidelines
- Check for satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation
- Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion
- Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure devices
- Check for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets (where appropriate)
- You will receive a current Gas Safety Certificate which will state stating the outcome of the visit
- You will receive a reminder next year of when your gas safety cert(s) is due
- We can arrange with the tenant for you
- We will leave the tenant with a copy of the certificate
We will only include an annual service if instructed by yourself but always recommend that both the annual service and gas safety check is carried out at the same time for peace of mind.